Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Cat burglar

I woke up this morning to find my kitchen counter in disarray. A box of cornstarch had been knocked over, some of it had spilled onto the counter, and there were visible paw prints in the mess. When I went to clean it up, I saw what the real issue was:

Next to the cornstarch, behind my spice rack, were some unopened containers of dog treats for Achilles -- a bag of biscuits and a plastic jar of jerky strips. The bag of biscuits had been pushed off to the side. The plastic, tamper-proofing strip around the lid of the jerky strip jar had been chewed through and flung onto the stovetop. The lid was pried off of the jar, which was lying on its side, and half of a gnawed-on jerky strip was sitting on the counter.

The culprit had to be Punkin -- he's my only cat who is smart enough to pull of a heist like this, and also the only cat who has previously shown any interest in Achilles's jerky strips. I only wish I had a nanny cam in the kitchen so I could have caught the whole thing on video.

4 Comments:

Blogger Saija said...

one of our cats was able to lift the top off a roasting pan, and eat some of the meat it held - and he did it so quietly that we didn't know until we went into the kitchen!

i had to smile at your story ... i could just picture it!

11:17 PM, December 01, 2007  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hahahahahahahahaha! Cats are hilarious! It's amazing what they can pull off when there is food involved. :)

10:37 AM, December 02, 2007  
Blogger pounce_uk said...

"Pumkin smarter than the average bear., Boo Boo"

9:15 AM, December 07, 2007  
Blogger Catherine said...

He certainly is! He's smarter than some people I have met. :)

9:16 PM, December 13, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home