Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm thankful for friends, family, and pets, and for all sorts of things that I think most of us tend to take for granted because we've never had to do without them for any significant length of time: a house, a car, a job, medical care, plenty of food to eat and clothes to wear, the personal freedoms that come along with living in a democracy, etc. Then there are all of the little luxuries we're fortunate to have: computers, the internet, televisions, cell phones, and the like.

I was thinking the other day that most of the things I tend to get upset about or complain about from day to day are really just minor trifles. I'm sure that, for example, any Darfur refugee would be happy to trade places with me any day of the week. I have been very fortunate in this life, and I am thankful.

4 Comments:

Blogger Saija said...

amen ...

when i worry about leo's doctor problems, etc., it is always with the thought that i personally know physicians who i can call in a real pinch (i don't like to intrude on friendships), i mean the folks in bangladesh are going through such a difficult time & would probably rejoice to have the problems we have!

hope your day was sweet!

10:34 PM, November 22, 2007  
Blogger Catherine said...

Indeed! Of course, it's only natural for us to feel sad about our own problems, but it's always a good idea to keep things in perspective. :)

**hugs** to you and Leo!

11:33 AM, November 24, 2007  
Blogger pounce_uk said...

Happy (belated) Thanksgiving. to all you folks on that side of the pond.
(Do Canadians celebrate it as well?)
I still don’t fully understand the reason behind it. (Something to do with Indians I think) But hey any excuse in which to take the time off work, meet family and to eat drink and be merry. The closest I suppose we Brits have is Christmasday.
Pounce.
Oh yes forgot to tell you we have tickets to visit the Terracotta army exhibition on Sat. I’ll post photos later.

2:48 PM, November 26, 2007  
Blogger Catherine said...

Pounce, Canada celebrates Thanksgiving a few weeks before the US does. I just look at it as a time to remind myself how fortunate I am and that I shouldn't take things for granted.

9:35 PM, November 26, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home