Achilles and the Fed Ex man
Achilles has a very special hatred for the Fed Ex and UPS men. He is not fond of large trucks; in fact, if we are passed by a large, noisy truck when we are out walking, he will usually turn around and try to bolt for home and I have to cajole him into finishing the walk.
Whenever we get a delivery at the house, he goes into a wild frenzy of barking. His Fed Ex/UPS bark is louder than just about anything I've ever heard.
Well, this morning on our walk, Achilles came face to face with his arch nemesis. The Fed Ex truck was trying to turn a corner just as we were approaching it. The truck stopped in mid-turn and the driver leaned towards us. I thought he was going to ask me something, but instead, he tossed a Milkbone out the door. Achilles was in mid-bark when the Milkbone landed in front of him on the sidewalk and the driver waved and took off.
I picked up the treat and offered it to him, saying, "Look! He gave you a cookie! Wasn't that nice of him?" Achilles sniffed at the cookie and then turned his nose up, refusing it, so I put it in my pocket until we got home and then offered it to him again. He immediately grabbed it and ran upstairs with it to eat it (which is what he does any time he gets a treat that he really likes). I suspect he just didn't want to give the Fed Ex man the satisfaction of seeing him eat his peace offering.
Whenever we get a delivery at the house, he goes into a wild frenzy of barking. His Fed Ex/UPS bark is louder than just about anything I've ever heard.
Well, this morning on our walk, Achilles came face to face with his arch nemesis. The Fed Ex truck was trying to turn a corner just as we were approaching it. The truck stopped in mid-turn and the driver leaned towards us. I thought he was going to ask me something, but instead, he tossed a Milkbone out the door. Achilles was in mid-bark when the Milkbone landed in front of him on the sidewalk and the driver waved and took off.
I picked up the treat and offered it to him, saying, "Look! He gave you a cookie! Wasn't that nice of him?" Achilles sniffed at the cookie and then turned his nose up, refusing it, so I put it in my pocket until we got home and then offered it to him again. He immediately grabbed it and ran upstairs with it to eat it (which is what he does any time he gets a treat that he really likes). I suspect he just didn't want to give the Fed Ex man the satisfaction of seeing him eat his peace offering.


3 Comments:
Milkbone?
Ah, a dog chew
Yes, indeed, it is a doggie biscuit. Achilles also refuses them from the vet. He will turn up his nose and turn his head to the side. That dog cracks me up!
Post a Comment
<< Home