Saturday, February 06, 2010

My latest food obsession

As I believe I've mentioned in the past, I have a tendency to get hooked on one particular food and eat it every day for weeks or months at a time before I finally get tired of it and move on to something else. Fortunately, my latest food obsession is good for me.

I had always thought that I wasn't a big fan of salads, but I've finally realized that I just don't tend to like salads that other people put together because they usually contain at least one ingredient I don't care for. If I make my own salad, it is AWESOME. Here's what I've been craving and eating every day for the past couple of weeks:

Mixed greens
Baby spinach
Shredded carrots
Shredded red cabbage
Shredded cheddar cheese
Honey mustard dressing
Toasted sunflower seeds
Sesame sticks
Raisins

This is such a delicious meal, it's ridiculous. Even better with some cornbread on the side.

2 Comments:

Blogger pounce_uk said...

Good to see you enjoying the fruits of what nature places in front of you for free. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m the last person who subscribes to the tenets of animal rights, ethical lattes and tofu sandwiches. But the humble salad is a masterpiece that is seen primarily as the diet of the supermodel. Unless you are a superstar or a Panda then its green shoots all round.
I’m a bugger for salads and actually enjoy nothing more than a salad sandwich in which to pass the day. However a couple of ingredient that I do add and which you haven’t are Beetroot (Pickled at that) and tomatoes. What I don’t add is raisins
Now I’m also led to believe that greens in Europe taste a lot better than they do in America. Is that correct? But then I refuse to purchase French apples because they are bred for looks rather than taste.
Strangely enough I haven’t partaken of anything today other than a few pieces of chocolate and copious amounts of coffee. (It’s now 23.14) I did pop out to Marks and purchased some chicken in which to cook later on, but instead the cat (next doors) was fed on some of it and then he slept off his dinner on my chest while I watched TV. (Which meant I couldn’t move him, in case I woke him up) that was at 6pm and he’s just popped out of the window to go home in which to get fed.
Anyway this weekend’s Guardian ran another excellent food section, they run videos on how to concoct almost anything and this week they are running how to make your own salami. However the reason I mention the guardian is they aired this winter salad as well.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/jan/07/allegra-mcevedy-g2-weekly-recipe

5:24 PM, February 09, 2010  
Blogger Catherine said...

Mmmmmm, that salad recipe looks awesome! I will save it and give it a try. I am really, really loving the salad right now. I've even been willing to walk six blocks at lunch time every day lately, even in nasty, cold, rainy weather, to go to a restaurant that has a good salad bar. And every time I sit down to a delicious salad, I pounce on it like a starving wild animal. It's ridiculous.

I would not be surprised if greens in Europe taste better. I have been buying organic greens from a new organic farmer's market near my house, and they are pretty darn tasty, though.

I love the cat story! That cat has got it made. :)

12:22 PM, February 14, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home