Sunday, February 12, 2006

An early memory

I'm going to tell this story the way I remember it, which might not be entirely accurate since I was so young at the time. I may misremember some of the details, but the gist of the story is accurate, anyway.

When Steve and I were very young, my family lived in Hong Kong. I must have been about three or four years old when this happened. There was a wooded area behind the chain link fence at the back of our apartment complex. Some of the neighborhood children had built a little fort back there, and I believe my older brother Paul was among them. He would have been nine or ten at this time. Steve and I were not allowed to play back there because we were too young.

Apparently, Paul had once taken Steve back to the woods to show him the fort, and shortly after that, Steve convinced me to climb over the fence with him and go check it out. I remember being quite enchanted with the fort and feeling oh so grown up, climbing the fence and exploring the woods. However, upon our return trip over the fence, our father was waiting for us and was not pleased. He took us inside, into the laundry room, and gave us each a spanking. Then, when we would not stop crying, he shut us up in the laundry room and told us we could come out when we were quiet. Steve calmed down before I did. As I continued crying and carrying on, he finally pleaded with me to be quiet, saying, "If you don't stop crying, we are never going to get out of here!" With that, I finally settled down and we were released.

I'm not sure why this incident sticks in my mind, but I even remember what I was wearing that day -- a blue and grey dress, and grey tights.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home