Saturday, March 07, 2009

Don't buy this.

The Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Mop:



Ladies and gentlemen, do not buy this product. I recently replaced my worn-out old mop with one of these things, and just finished my first (and, as it turns out, only) attempt at using it. I dipped it in my bucket of soapy water and then attempted to wring it out using the handy wringing lever on the mop handle. The entire head popped right off of the mop handle. The sponge completely tore away from the metal bracket thingie that holds it on, such that it could not be reattached. Fortunately, I'd purchased a refill mop head along with the mop, so I put the new one on and tried again. I started to pull on the wringing lever and could tell that the same thing would happen if I pulled it all the way, so I had to resort to wringing out the sponge with my hands, which was very inconvenient and created a big mess, and plus, if I wanted to wring out the sponge with my hands, I'd have just used a plain old sponge in the first place instead of using a mop.

Also, all of the dirt and grime just sticks to the sponge so that with every subsequent pass of the mop, you're pretty much just spreading the mess around and not cleaning it up. I ended up having to go back over the floor with a towel after I'd finished mopping it. I'd have been better off scrubbing the entire floor with a sponge on my hands and knees.

I got online and read a bunch of reviews of this product to see if I was somehow doing something wrong (although, come on: it's a mop, not some sophisticated piece of technology) and found that I am far from the only person who has had this experience with it. Too bad I didn't read those reviews before I bought the darn thing. But, really, I never would have thought to read product reviews prior to purchasing a mop. I figure it must be pretty difficult to screw up a mop, of all things, but apparently this company has figured out a way to do it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Saija said...

i won't buy it ...
thank you for that!

tho' the little eraser thingies work well ... i did hear that they have some bad chemicals on them - sigh - doesn't everything!

8:12 PM, March 07, 2009  
Blogger Catherine said...

The eraser sponges do work well! I was excited about the mop when I saw it because I'd used the sponges before with very good results. I guess putting a giant version of the sponge onto a mop just doesn't work.

8:51 PM, March 07, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home