Friday, August 11, 2006

Call me "Lumpy"

Almost two years ago, I had quite a scare when I discovered a lump in my right breast. I have a family history of breast cancer on my mom's side -- her mother was diagnosed at 37 and died at 40, and my mom also has aunts and cousins who died of breast cancer -- so I got it checked immediately. My doctor sent me for a mammogram and sonogram and referred me to a breast surgeon. After a couple of agonizing weeks, I finally got to see the surgeon, and he determined that it was just a benign cyst. Whew!

Well, now it's time for deja vu. Last week, I discovered a (very large!) lump in my left breast. It's so large that you can actually see it if I raise my arm a bit, and it's very, very tender. I'm pretty certain it's just another cyst, because it feels just like the last one, and the surgeon did tell me that it would most likely be a recurring thing. It is still rather disconcerting any time you find a lump, though!

Anyway, I called the breast surgeon's office this afternoon and made an appointment for Tuesday morning. Hopefully, it will be just like last time -- he'll do a sonogram, stick a needle in the lump, drain it, and send me home.

8 Comments:

Blogger Saija said...

i have lumpy boobs too ... but it is good that you stay on top of it ... hope it is just another annoying doctor's visit for you!!!!

and please post about your interview too ..l

i'll continue to keep you in my prayers!!!

big hugs to you ...

9:41 PM, August 11, 2006  
Blogger Catherine said...

Thanks, Saija! I'm sorry to hear you have the same problem. It sure is a pain. It's good to know that it's probably no big deal, but of course, there's always that slight bit of doubt.

I will keep you posted! I truly appreciate your prayers. :)

**hugs**

10:51 PM, August 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG!!! I can't stop worry about you Cat. Now you have to move up here so we can keep an eye on you...

Geez. The mountain air will do so much good for you. It won't, however, do anything for your spine. 8)

9:24 PM, August 13, 2006  
Blogger Catherine said...

LOL, moving to Colorado is starting to sound really good to me! Especially with this ridiculous Texas heat we've been having lately.

I'm pretty sure this lump is no big deal, though. I'm more worried about tomorrow's interview!

12:15 AM, August 14, 2006  
Blogger Saija said...

hope the interview goes well!

8:08 AM, August 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today's high is a stifling 78 degrees. It might get into the high 80's this week. Yep, Autumn is coming to the Rockies and I can't be happier.

Good luck on the interview, not that you'll need it with your experience level.

10:17 AM, August 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look who finally updated his profile with his picture. The last picture before my ordeal, but hey.

Someday I'll get a new one.

3:21 PM, August 14, 2006  
Blogger Catherine said...

It did go well, Saija, thank you! At least, it went much better than the last one! :)

Bear, that's a great photo of you! Woohoo! I need to put up a more current pic, but with my new digital camera, I hate every pic of myself. It's so freaking high-definition that it shows every little flaw.

I would give my left arm for highs in the upper seventies right now. We're supposed to be at around 104 all week. Ugh.

6:15 PM, August 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home